The city of New York has been home to many famous movies since it was established in the 1600′s. As one of the most picturesque cities in America, it has provided the setting for some of the most popular films ever created.
Because of the city’s great importance to the movie industry, organizations like NYCastings were even established to help aspiring actors and film workers in the area. Whether you’re interested in the industry or not, New York has been home to some of the most popular movies throughout history.
5 of The Most Well Known Films Made in New York
1. Ghostbusters – In 1994, there was something very strange in the neighborhood. Ghostbusters was filmed in a variety of historical New York locations. The New York Public Library was the setting for one of the most famous ghost hunting scenes in the movie. In addition to this, the all-star cast of ghost busting scientists got their start at New York’s Columbia University.
2. When Harry Met Sally – Before the film coined the phrase “I’ll have what she’s having”, one of its most famous filming locations served delicious deli sandwiches to the citizens of New York. Katz’s Deli continues to serve New York residents today and became even more popular after the film’s debut.
3. Independence Day – Although it was filmed in many different locations, Independence Day depicted a worldwide alien invasion that included the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.
4. Spiderman (1 – 3) – Toby McGuire spun his web in New York city during the making of all three of these famous Marvel superhero movies. Spiderman traveled over many New York neighborhoods in these films and even proposed to Mary Jane in Central Park.
5. Goodfellas – This gritty mafia movie tells Jimmy Hoffa’s story from the perspective of Ray Liota’s rising mob character. Famous areas of the city like Queens, Long Island and Brooklyn were the backdrop for this violent mafia masterpiece. With an all-star cast including Robert DeNiro and Joe Pesci, Goodfellas is the second most known mobster movie
ever made. The first being The Godfather, which was also filmed in New York city.
These are just some of the many great movies that have been filmed in New York. Whether your a film lover,
aspiring actor or already work in the industry, New York provides some of the best opportunities available. NYCastings has also been a big part of providing talent for many of the popular films set in the city.
New York’s rich history and familiar backdrop has been the setting for some of the biggest box office hits of all time. With an atmosphere that brings the big city feeling to the big screen, New York will continue to be one of the most used cities in popular film.